Posted on: 18 February 2016
If you have a flooded sink, or any source of water in your house, you need to dry it up quickly. Any water that you don't clean up can allow mold to start to grow in your house. Mold can cause all sorts of problems for your home and for your health. If you have a minor infestation, you may be able to take care of the problem on your own as long as you know what you are doing.
Sealing off the Problem
One problem with mold is that it releases spores, and these spores can get airborne and spread throughout your house. They can lie dormant for months until a source of water allows them to grow. Thus, once you discover a mold infestation, you need to seal off the room it is found in from the rest of your house. Taping plastic over AC vents, doors, and windows will prevent any spores dislodged while you are cleaning from spreading.
Killing the Mold
In order to kill the mold, you need to use a cleaner that includes an anti-fungicide agent. You will want to check to make sure that any cleaner you use won't cause discoloration. Try any cleaners you buy on a small, out-of-the-way corner of your carpet and wall to make sure that they don't stain or otherwise affect their appearance.
Disposing of the Mold
Use disposable rags and trash bags to clean up any mold that you see. You should then go over the entire surface of the infested room with a vacuum that has a HEPA filter so that spores don't spread. Put the vacuum's bag inside of a plastic bag and seal it up. You should then take down the plastic sheeting you used to block off the doors and vents and seal it off inside of a plastic bag. Dump all of the bags out of your house through a window as a last precaution to prevent contaminating the rest of your house.
Mold can be a headache to deal with. If you are not absolutely thorough in cleaning it up, you will be facing a new infestation anytime leftover mold spores come into contact with them. If you doubt your abilities to take care of your mold on your own, then you need to call someone who has the equipment, training, and experience to take care of the problem. A qualified restoration expert can help you.Share